About Me

My photo
There's nothing better than watching those you love grow into those you like.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Take Time to Really Know Your Hair


 


Last week a friend of mine reached out to me to ask for some suggestions that would make her hair soft and manageable. She complains, " I have 4z hair type. My hair always feels like a Brillo Pad and there is nothing I can do." I look at her and realised that, since she has gone natural, I've only seen her hair twice in 8 months. In 8 months she has always been in either wigs, braids or hair extensions. Another friend feels that because of the course nature of her hair she can never get it to a manageable state to wear in public.

So this post is for my 2 beautiful luvvies whom I adore to pieces.

Take Time To Really Know Your Hair  

When you transition or do a BC your new hair growth is like a stranger to you. It looks and feels different Depending on the growth stage you might find that your hair doesn't behave herself the way you want it to. Do not give up! Take the time to really spend time with it. Experiment with different products. Often time you will hear other naturalistas refer to themselves as "product junkie's" because they have so many hair products in their possession. Now, I'm not telling you to go out and buy a boat-load of products. I just want you to know that it's okay to experiment.  The key is to notice which products do well on your hair. For me, I find that cream based products fit well with my thick "4A/B-Z" texture so I have an idea of what will work. I shy away from shampoos that leave my hair feeling dry and stripped. Also, know this, your hair will have its moments when it will stop liking a particular product so be prepared to make some adjustments. If you get nothing else from this I hope you take away the fact that you need to allow your hair to guide you to what product she likes. That includes wearing your hair out and getting comfortable with your own texture.

I thought I would share a recipe that I've put together for my self. It's a Shea Butter Whipped mix and I love it especially since I now live in a cold mountainous region.

Shea Butter Whipped Mix for Cottonheads
1lb Shea Butter
2 Ounces Aloe Vera Juice
1 ounce Jojoba Oil
2tsps Apricot or Grape- Seed Oil
1tsp Vitamin Oil (to help preserve)
Lavender or Peppermint essential oil for fragrance.

Just blend to whip (I use a Magic Bullet) and you are good to go. Use it for twist outs and braid outs. It gives great moisture and leave the hair soft to the touch and non greasy. I have a friend who uses Mango Butter in place of the Shea Butter. If you try it let me know : )

Kinkily Yours,
Cottonheadgirl.

1 comment: